Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Kunsthalle in Berlin

Today I though would be a good opportunity post about the space that I am working in during my time here in Berlin. I am here for 6 weeks, I arrived on the 7th of July and depart on the 17th of August. I am here with two faculty members (Jordan Tate and Kris Holland) from the University of Cincinnati and seven other students ranging from undergraduate to 2nd and 3rd year graduate students. Currently we are all working towards an exhibition that will open on the 15th of August in a space called Kunsthalle am Hamburger Platz.  http://kunsthalle.kunsthochschule-berlin.de/ .

The Kunsthalle is an old grocery store that has been converted into a project work/exhibition space. The space is affiliated with Weißensee Kunsthochschule Berlin http://www.kh-berlin.de/index.php5?locale=en . We had the opportunity to go to the Weißensee for their sort of end of the year open house. It was very impressive and overwhelming to say the least. So it's really a super great opportunity to be able to come to Berlin and have a space to work in and also have an exhibition. Below are some images of the space, it's has some really great things going on, right now everyone is kind of in work mode. Things are starting to take shape.

During our time here we also have studio visits with local artists, artist talks, and some lectures as well. It is difficult to find time for everything and kinda stinks having to chose, but it's hammer time so early morning and late nights for me. Last night I found out that the street trams and Ubahn quit running after 12:30. I found out the hard way and had to walk home from Alexanderplatz, but it wasn't too bad.
Front of the Building


View of my workspace through the window


Main studio/exhibition space

This is the rad closed in courtyard behind the building


Rad Pizza oven, had a failed attempt, but we're gonna try again.


How cool is it to have a fully functioning kitchen at the studio.





This is currently the place where I am tentatively planned to install.

No comments:

Post a Comment